Neither Todd nor I are big fans of raw tomatoes. Trevor likes them sometimes, but he definitely can’t eat a whole one before it goes bad. So I decided to roast some tomato slices up for sandwiches. After they were roasted, being the fickle foodie that I am, I decided I’d rather make a tomato sauce out of them. You can either eat the slices roasted, or go a step farther like I did and make a sauce.
What you need:
For the roasted tomato slices:
- tomato slices
- olive oil
- dried basil
- minced garlic
- minced onion
For the sauce:
- roasted tomatoes
- tomato paste
How to make it:
- Place tomato slices on a foil or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top of them.
- Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, basil, garlic and onion to taste.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat up to 4oo degrees and roast for about 5 more minutes.
- Chop up the roasted tomato slices and put into a blender or food processor.
- Spoon in about a half of a can of tomato paste.
- Add a few tablespoons of water.
- Puree the sauce, adding more water as needed to thin the sauce to your desired consistency.
It makes a great sauce for Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches!