Granola bars make a great snack, but many of the store bought ones contain ingredients that I can’t even pronounce. No way am I feeding that to my son. So I did some experimentation and created a yummy granola bar recipe to make at home.
What you need:
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten (this helps hold the bars together but can be omitted if you have egg allergies)
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a smaller bowl combine all of the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients making sure everything is coated evenly. I use my hands to do this as I think it works better than just stirring with a spoon.
- Line a rectangular glass baking dish with parchment paper (I used an 8 x 11.5 inch one, but you could use a standard 9 x 13 if that’s all you have).
- Press the granola bar mixture into the dish.
- Bake for about 35 min.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool for another 10 minutes.
- Cut into bars.