This is another one of those “I wanted to make X, but couldn’t find the perfect recipe so I’ll just wing it” recipes. I wanted to use up a couple of bananas but couldn’t find a recipe I loved, so I just created my own. These “wing it” recipes don’t always turn out well, but this one definitely did!
What you need:
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole white wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- few shakes of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
- MaraNatha Nation Dark Chocolate Almond Spread (you could sub Nutella here, but I prefer to use an all-natural alternative)
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all of the ingredients except for the Dark Chocolate Almond Spread into a large bowl until well blended.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Spread half of the banana chocolate chip batter into the loaf pan.
- Spoon some Dark Chocolate Almond spread on top.
- Then spread the other half of the batter on top of that.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.
- Enjoy! This tastes extra good when warmed before serving.