A lot of the gross motor therapy and sensory activities I do with Trevor require body awareness. While Trevor is great at labeling pictures in a book, he struggles with motor planning and so he has a hard time knowing where his own body parts are. To work on this I came up with a fun activity for us to do this morning.
What You Need:
- Large piece of paper (I used the paper roll from his easel)
How To Make It:
- Cut a piece of paper large enough for the child to lay down on.
- Tape it to the floor.
- Have child lay down on the paper.
- Trace child’s outline with a crayon.
- Have child help you label body parts on the drawing, and on the child themself.
After we played with the drawing for awhile I taped it to the wall. I’m planning on doing more labeling activities with Trevor, maybe using stickers to help motivate him as well (put the sticker on the head, tummy, foot, etc.). Hopefully the more aware Trevor becomes of his body parts, the easier it will be to work on motor planning games and activities with him.